Thursday, October 29, 2009
The male image in America has changed drastically throughout history. More than ever, men in modern America are beginning to become preoccupied with their looks. Women have been criticized for this for years. Our culture has become superficial and we can see this through the use of advertisements in both television and magazines in particular. In truth sex today in American culture sells. Women and men alike are forced to "look their best", even if it means showing a lot of skin and dressing immodestly. In todays advertisements we often see more skin than we actually do clothes. I look at ads many times, and I do not even know what is being sold until I look at the bottom of the page and see the word "fragrance," "jewlery," or "cotoure". Our society has turned into a superficial one only focused of body image. Women feel that they need to look a specific way and now men are pressured to fit a mold as well. Bordo's analysis of the male body, and her perception of the male body are very accurate in modern culture not just in the US, but also in Europe as well. It is common for men in Europe to wear tight clothes, "do" their hair, and spend maybe up to an hour getting ready before they go out. I personally cant imagine taking that much time to get ready. I get bored after 20 miniutes of trying on clothes and looking in the mirror. In Europe this look for men is acceptable. Here in the United States if a man does any thing of this sort he is considered gay. Also many men get offended by being called metrosexual, when really they should not. We criticize peoples lifestyles not matter what level of care they take in thier looks. If a man is unshaven and has long hair we deem him as dirt and unclean. These stigmas are an unfair judgements that we pass on to others. I think as a changing American culture we must adapt to and accept these changes. Because we cannot adapt to these things is why i think there is alot of intolerance for peoples differences.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

"I think as a changing American culture we must adapt to and accept these changes. Because we cannot adapt to these things is why i think there is alot of intolerance for peoples differences." Interesting point...good to draw a connection.
ReplyDeleteI definitely agree with you that our fashion culture and the way we perceive men and women alike have definitely changed through our time. I almost think that we are returning to such cultural aspects as the ancient Romans and Greeks viewed the male body and accepted homosexuality. The difference in today is that mainstream conservative society doesn't accept homosexuality as the acient Romans and Greeks did, but now accepts metro sexuality. History does repeat itself but now just in a different light.
ReplyDeleteI feel the same way about how in our culture you are supposed to always look your best. I also can't imagine taking hours to get ready, but that is the culture in Europe.
ReplyDelete