Still Fighting It: Song written for his son Louie: good morning son i am a bird wearing a brown polyester shirt you want a coke? maybe some fries? the roast beef combo's only nine ninety five but it's okay you don't have to pay i've got all the change everybody knows it hurts to grow up but everybody does it's so weird to be back here let me tell you what the years go on and we're still fighting it and you're so much like me i'm sorry...
Ascent of Stan:Pangs of silence, From the room upstairs, How's the view there? Do you read what they're saying about you? That you're no fun, Since the war was won, In fact, you have become all of the things you've always run away from, The ascent of Stan, Textbook hippie man, Get rest while you can, So where'd the years go? All the time we had? Being poor was not such a drag in hindsight And you wonder why your father was so resigned Now you don't wonder any more
The Luckiest (my favorite song):i don't get many things right the first time, in fact, i am told that a lot, now i know all the wrong times, the stumbles and falls, brought me here, and where was i before the day, that i first saw your lovely face?, now i see it everyday, and i know..., (Chorus), that i am, i am, i am the luckiest, what if i'd been born 50 years before you, in a house on the street where you lived, maybe i'd be outside as you passed on your bike, would i know?, and in a wide sea of eyes, i see one pair that i recognize, and i know..., (Chorus), i love you more than i have ever found a way to say to you, next door there's an old man, who lived to his 90s and one day, passed away in his sleep, and his wife, she stayed for a couple of days, and passed away, i'm sorry i know that's a strange way to tell you that i know we belong, that i know... (Chorus)
Gracie: Written for his daughter Grace:You can't fool me, I saw you when you came out You got your momma's taste but you got my mouth And you will always have a part of me Nobody else is ever going to see Gracie girl With your cards to your chest walking on your toes What you got in the box only Gracie knows And I would never try to make you be Anything you didn't really want to be Gracie girl Life flies by in seconds You're not a baby Gracie, you're my friend You'll be a lady soon but until then You gotta do what I say You nodded off in my arms watching TV I won't move you an inch even thought my arm's asleep One day you're gonna want to go I hope we taught you everything you need to know Gracie girl And there will always be a part of me Nobody else is ever gonna see but you and me My little girl My Gracie girl
All U Can Eat: Son, look at all the people in this restaurant What do you think they weigh? And out the window to the parking lot At their SUV's taking all the space They give no fuck They talk as loud as they want They give no fuck Just as long as there's enough for them Gonna get on the microphone down at Wal-Mart Talk about some shit that's been on my mind Talk of the state of this great nation of ours People look to your left Yeah, look to your right They give no fuck They buy as much as they want They give no fuck Just as long as there's enough for them Son, look at the people lining up for plastic Wouldn't you like to see them in the National Geographic? Squatting bare assed in the dirt eating rice from a bowl With a towel on their head, and maybe a bone in their nose See that asshole with the peace sign on his license plate? Giving me the finger and running me out of his lane God made us number one because he loves us the best Well he should go bless someone else for a while Give us a rest...
Other songs to check out- Songs of Love, Learn to Live with What you Are, The Frown Song, You Dont Know Me, Cologne,


Wow. I've never knowingly heard of or heard Ben Folds before. I have, however, seen "Over the Hedge." I like his lyrics. Thanks for sharing! I'm definitely going to iTunes to check Ben out.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness! Every song you have mentioned is just amazing in Ben Folds' unique way. I love how every song of his has such a deep meaning, and I can relate to each and every one is a sometimes weird way! Reading these blogs have shown me that other people love the music that I do, and I find a small comfort in that knowledge!
ReplyDeleteI saw him in concert with John Mayer... probably the best concert I have ever been to!!