Monday, November 30, 2009
Response to ECC
Although I was not expecting to, I thoroughly enjoyed reading Ecology of a Cracker Childhood. I am not usually interested in books related to topics such as the environment, but the way the the author incorporated this topic into her writing intrigued me. I was interested in what she had to say, and was enthralled about how the environment could have such a profound impact on someone. Reading Ecology of a Cracker Childhood put many things into perspective for me. I was enlightened on someone else's way of life and their struggles. At first i was unable to empathize with the character, but as the book progressed I slowly was able to understand what she was going through. Mental disease is prominent in my family and as a result i could relate to how she was feeling. The author, Janisse Ray, provided such vivid descriptions of her childhood and the people that surrounded her, that I felt as if I was living her story. Everything about the story was tangible. I could imagine each and every story and description like I myself had lived it. I believe that makes a wonderful piece of writing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

"I was enlightened on someone else's way of life and their struggles." I'm really glad to hear this; this is one reason I assign the novel. :-)
ReplyDelete"I was enlightened on someone else's way of life and their struggles." I am very glad to hear this. I chose the novel so that you all could see a different side of life.
ReplyDelete