Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Response to Rodriguez

Dear Mr. Rodriguez,
I can only imagine how difficult it must be for you to have your parents understand your love and passion for education. I have a few words to share with you about how i feel about your situation. Your hard work and efforts have inspired me to never give up on my hopes and dreams. Your experiences have also showed me that having perseverance will allow one to overcome the odds of stereotypes, and that we can do anything we set our minds to. The message that your essay leaves me with will hopefully make my college education experience more meaningful. In my life I have face a similar situation, yet I learned ways to cope with it. I went to a Jewish Day School where in which i took Hebrew language courses. As a child I would always go to my father for help. My mother knew no hebrew, while my dads knowledge of the language was very elementary. As I got older my father could no longer help me with my work. As a result he thought it was important to be able to help me, so he began to take Hebrew language courses, and for that I appreciated him to no end. Your background puts many things in perspective about many aspects of life not just education. I also think that you need to give your parents a little more credit then you offer. They came to America to have a better life for themselves and their family. Im sure they have offered you many things here in America that they couldn't have anywhere else. You owe your education to your parents. They enrolled you into a private parochial school where you probably got a very good education in comparison to other schools in Mexico, and even in the nation. Without them getting you "started" I really do not think you would be here today. Their dedication to you and your brother and sister is tremendous. You should be greatful and appreciative for all that they have done for you. Never feel ashamed of your struggle because its that struggle that brought you where you are today.

3 comments:

  1. I also found it odd when I was younger and my parents could not help me. I was also moved and inspired by his effort to learn so much but chocked that he would not try to have a proper relationship with his parents. It was like his books and studies were the only relationship he had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent example of how you could relate. I actually don't remember my parents helping me with homework at all, except maybe once. I think it is so cool that your dad took classes to learn more Hebrew so he could help you. I've spent about a year trying to learn Hebrew, well, to teach it to myself, but it was hopeless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you could relate to the subject matter. This shows me that Rodriguez was not the only person like that. I did not grow up with that kind of situation, but I believe it will better you in the futue.

    ReplyDelete